Thursday, April 12, 2012

Before & After - Candle sticks

Last year Nick and I had a long weekend away in the Southern Highlands and happened to drive by some local markets. Being the dedicated bargain hunter that I am I braved the rain and the mud and hubby's displeasure at the thought of dirty shoes in the new Volvo (we had only just picked up the new car in Sydney the day before) in order to snag myself some treasure!

Thankfully it was all worth it  (even though I had to take my shoes off lol!) and I found these fabulous candle sticks. 

To be honest I can't even remember how much they were, I think maybe $6 each and they stand 45cm tall.

 


 
The before wasn't too bad but I wanted them to have a lighter finish to suit our house.

I started by giving the candle sticks a wipe over to make sure they were clean, I didn't bother sanding them.

I used some left over door and trim paint (the stuff we used to paint the doors and skirting boards in our house) and applied it to the candle sticks with a small paint brush.

In order to get an aged finish I took a slightly damp chux cloth and started wiping the paint off.

It is easy to wipe off too much paint if you're not careful, I just keep applying paint and wiping off until I get the finish I am happy with.

I love how the darker colours come through the white and create grey tones.
I

I used some twine to add some clay heart tags that I made and stamped, popped on some candles and voila, all done!



Which do you prefer before or after?

I think they would look quite good in a gloss black or gloss red finish too,

maybe for their next makeover......

xx

8 comments:

  1. I definitely love the after look...great job Nellie....I'm starting on Chris' bedside table this weekend and am trying to decide whether or not i need to sand it first.....so may people say you should but i'm not sure if i really need to

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tabitha Pandey12 April, 2012

    Nellie you are too clever.
    I dont know where you get all your awesome ideas from but keep them coming these candle sticks look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tabitha Pandey12 April, 2012

    Nellie you are too clever.
    I dont know where you get all your awesome ideas from but keep them coming these candle sticks look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever Cookie..I love the before and after..but you are right..the finish you chose compliments your decore so much better..and what a bargain buy! Good skillls lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the white best. I love the look of your floors in your house. I can just see them in the background of the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. they definently look great in white nellie, i think you got a real bargain there!!! really love the shape of the candlesticks too! hope you have a wonderful weekend!!!
    laura xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a find and love the makeover you have given them, they look gorgeous. G

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look fantastic...you are certainly a whizz in the DIY department!!
    Thanks for your beautiful comment on my recent post...so thoughtful and kind of you:)

    ReplyDelete