Friday, June 1, 2012

Blessing Others

More and more lately I have been reminded of how blessed I am. I may not be rich by Australian standards but I am rich compared to many people in the world.

"Three billion people live on less than $2 per day while 1.3 billion get by on less than $1 per day. Seventy percent of those living on less than $1 per day are women."

www.homelessissues.com.au

I have days where I worry because I haven't sold anything from the store and I haven't made any money but the Lord gently reminds me that I am rich, I still can go and buy coffee and cake and spend $15 on this luxury without thinking twice.

There are days I look at other peoples houses and I wish I had a bigger house with a double garage and an office and more storage and a bigger bathroom and again I am reminded that I have a roof over my head and not only does it keep the weather out I have heating and cooling to make my home comfortable and cosy.

Think about this:

  • The water walk. Women in developing countries travel an average of almost four miles each day to collect water.
  • The poor pay more. People living in the poorest slums can pay as much as ten times more for water than those in high-income areas of their own cities.
  • Gender disparity. According to the U.N., the majority of people in poverty are women, who globally earn roughly half as much as men.
  • Daily bread. Food prices have risen 83 percent since 2005, disproportionately affecting those in poverty who spend a higher percentage of their income on food.
  • No school for you. In 2005, a conservative estimate stated that 72 million children around the world of elementary school age were not enrolled in school.
  • The global wealth gap. The richest 20 percent of the world's population receives 75 percent of the world's income, while the poorest 40 percent receive only 5 percent of the world's income.
Statistics are from the World Bank and the ONE Campaign.
So what am I going to do to share my riches?
As a family we have our own commitments to organisations such as Compassion Australia, Homes of Hope International, RSPCA etc, but I just feel so thankful, everyday I give praise for the ability to be able to start my own business and do what I love on a daily basis. I am so blessed to have this opportunity and I want to  share that blessing to others.
Every month I am going to choose a not for profit organisation that I believe works to make a difference in the lives of those less fortunate than I and I will be donating 10% of all sales from my online store to this organisation.

At the beginning of the month I will feature the organisation  and share with you all a little of what they do.

In theory this sounds good but when I don't sell anything 10% of nothing is nothing! Not very helpful at all, so at a minimum $100 each month will be given to the chosen organisation, hopefully for me and the organisation this will be more and more as my business grows :-)

This months organisation is 
TEAR Australia

I will be back later today to share more about TEAR Australia with you all.

I would love to hear what you think.
xx

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great idea, Nellie. And, I think we all need to take the time to find a little something that we're grateful for each day, even when we may be feeling overwhelmed and like we don't have much at all.

    M
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous01 June, 2012

    Hi Nellie. A beautiful idea. And I absolutely agree that focussing on the things we do have will bring us peace more than focussing on the things we don't. Have a great weekend!
    Cas x
    ps. fingers crossed this comment goes through today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Idea. TEAR is such a worthy cause. We regularly support it. Last year my girls held a lamington stall and sent the money to TEAR for their African famine appeal. They wrote a note telling them how they earned the money, and got a hand written note from the ceo thanking them! SO impressed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nellie what a lovely idea.....I'm hoping it works well..and you're so right for those of us who don't think we're 'rich financially' we are compared to most parts of the world and we need to remember that and be thankful for it....xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nellie you're a SWEETHEART....We should all be thankful & more giving....THANKS for reminding me....!!!!!

    Cheers,
    Tamarah xx

    ReplyDelete