Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A work in progress - backyard

I hope you can bear with me through this post, I think I had to include so many photos just to emphasize how big this project has been and how long it has taken!

Our backyard has been a work in progress, we started in January 2010 and my last update was the chook house in November 2010.


You can read about it here at the Chook House


It all started here you can read about it all at

"The beginning part 1, part 2 & part 3"



Then in November 2010 we started working on this area again.

We levelled it and we built retaining walls and we moved an awful lot of rock!


During the work we also installed the new sheds

read about it  

 here  and here 

you can see them in the background.


We worked hard and just in time for our Christmas Party on the 23rd December 2010 we left it at this.
 



In April 2011 my wonderful hubby started work on it again


We also decided it was time to finish the other unsightly areas that we had left around the place.



We had uneven surfaces around the new sheds, we had dirt around the side of the house, drain that still needed to be installed and messy areas that were just hard to mow and looked unattractive.




After much deliberation it was decided that the best way to fix this and avoid lots of back breaking digging was to use crushed limestone.



Is it really sad to get so excited about a finished path and an installed drain?


Hubby worked hard yesterday in the freezing cold and today just before it snowed to add some finishing touches





and were done....

except for all of the plants that need to get planted in spring and the lattice that needs to go in the veggie garden to support my climbing plants.......

 and I am sure there is still more......

but I was just too excited about our progress that I just had to share it with you.

What do you think?

I think that if you made it this far you deserve a big hug for being a great friend and sharing my excitement!

I may follow up with some more detailed explanations in the future including some really interesting stats like how many tonnes of rock, dirt and sand we have moved. LOL!!!

How much money above mentioned stuff has cost us and how much I have saved on gym fees by working hard in the yard! : )

xx


6 comments:

  1. WOW, I soooo love the before, during and after photos! You guys have really done a FANTASTIC job!!!
    Now... It's time to enjoy it, have a glass of wine on me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing better than seeing husband with a wheelbarrow full of stuff. (Ha!) Hard work but a fabulous outcome. Congratulations to you both on an excellent job. It is truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, Nellie!!!! That patio looks absolutely magazine worthy, girl! What a beautiful place to entertain and kick back! :) You both did such an amazing job! That arbor/pergola is gorgeous! ♥

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness Nellie, I remember posts in the past about your backyard but didn't realise how large an area it was and how much you have accomplished in that time - what a transformation and what a lovely area you have now in which to enjoy your backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely backyard you got there, you've given me inspiration maybe I can renovate my grandma's rural property backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have both done an amazing job. You have done so much hard work and it really shows Nellie. I bet you look out of your yard and smile, it's something to be very proud of. xo

    ReplyDelete