Monday, November 19, 2012

28 Weeks Pregnant

I have been in hospital for over two weeks now and life has settled into a routine, rather boring but comforting at the same time.

Each day we have shift change at 6am, breakfast at 8am, doctors rounds at 8.30 - 9.30am, morning tea at 10.30am, obs and fetal hearts or CTG's also get completed at some stage during the morning rounds.

Lunch arrives at 12.30pm, shift change at 2pm, afternoon tea at 3.30pm, dinner at 6pm, shift change at 10pm and then it all starts again in the morning.

I have found that the days are passing by much quicker than expected, I have read lots and have now ordered some cross stitch as well to give me something a little different to do. I have been able to work on my laptop and play games or complete crosswords etc. My sister in law has provided me with a dvd player, some dvds and also a cute snail cushion kit. I am going to start on my cushion today so hopefully I can share my completed cushion with you soon :-)

Today I have reached 28 weeks, yay! another milestone in pregnancy with the risk associated with premature birth reducing and the survival rate increasing to between 80 - 90%



28 weeks 

If bub was born now the average hospital stay for a baby born at 28 weeks gestation in Australia is 10 weeks 4 days. 



26 + 3 weeks

Taking belly shots has proven a little difficult in hospital, first I have to find a mirror that is big enough then try and get an angle that hides the toilet, emergency buttons, urine collection devices etc. Such a glamorous life ;-)


27 + 5 weeks

Each week I get to have a little excursion across the road to the clinic to have my ultrasound and I get to bring back cute little 3D photos of bub. The one below is from my 26 week scan because last week (27 weeks) he was rather uncooperative and kept waving his hands around in front of his face so the pictures are not great :-(



Every second week the ultrasound is a growth scan where they measure bub to check that all is developing as it should be. Last week he weighed 1151 g or 2 pounds 9 ounces and my cervix is still measuring 2 cm closed.

I have a room of my own at the moment that I'm really enjoying. I like having my own space to rest and relax without feeling rude if I don't want to talk to the person next to me. I can close my door and forget that I am in hospital most of the time. My boys came to visit me yesterday and I was allowed out on a gate pass for 4 hours. While we were out hubby bought me some of my favourite flowers, they are now sitting on my table helping create a more homely feel.


At this stage provided all goes well I may go home sometime between 30 - 34 weeks. We're praying that it will be at 32 - 33 weeks so I can be home for Christmas. 

Thank you again for all of the lovely comments, emails, msgs etc. Reading them all really does help boost my mood and encourages me greatly. 

Hope you have a great week.

xx

14 comments:

  1. Awwww, Sending lots of love & big hugs Nellie!!!! Sweet bub is soooo adorable! You are looking beautiful! You & bub are in my prayers! Saying extra prayers you & bub will be home for Christmas! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. it will all be worth it. That's a long time in the hospital. You have a good attitude about it all. Those 3D pictres are so good. Good luck. Hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you. Hope you can all be together for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire you so much Nellie. Wishing you and your wonderful family a stress free next few weeks and good luck for the Christmas wish :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thoughts are with you Nellie and I hope you get to go home to your family for Christmas.
    Cas xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Nellie, thank you so much for the update. What a fantastic attitude you have. I am sure you have your moments but this stay is only go a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nellie...wow I can't believe it's been two weeks already, it has gone fast. I'm glad you're not finding it too boring and it must be nice to have the room to yourself for a bit. Lets hope you make it home soon....All is well here bub kicking like mad and still making me pop more, if that's possible....lol...take care and talk soon...xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look wonderful Nellie and so does bub! I'm glad to hear time is passing quickly for you and fingers crossed you will be home for Christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, you are doing so well! Especially doing well at not going batty! I think it would drive me nuts, apart from having the time to catch up on my magazine reading :)
    Keep those legs crossed and keep us updated!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done Nellie!
    The ultrasound photo is amazing and you are looking really well. I hope you get to go home for Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi nellie,
    i am so pleased that you have gotten so far and baby looks adorable!!! love those 3d ultrasounds! You look amazing and i do hope you get home for christmas. It must be awful being stuck in hospital.. I can remember being stuck in the childrens hospital for weeks on end and it was just the most boring thing, even though we could still go out (as we werent the sick ones) I think i found nighttimes the worst. The lights, noises, etc. But it is the best place and as long as baby stays put for as long as possible thats the main thing! Thinking of you!
    Laura xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have my fingers crossed for you that you make it home for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely to read your update. So glad to hear things are progressing well must be a stressful time for you.
    I can't believe those ultra sound photos, they have come along way in 5 yrs
    Enjoy the rest

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nellie,

    Congratulations. I have been on a little blogging break (as I so often do . . ) but recently returned and decided to stop on by and catch up with you. I am THRILLED to see you're pregnant. Congratulations. I will keep you in my prayers! Hang in their and keep looking up!!!

    Best,
    Stephenie

    ReplyDelete